At the centennial meetings of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) today in Montreal, Stephen Toope, president of the University of British Columbia and new chair of AUCC, made several commitments on behalf of Canada’s universities as they embark on their second century of collaboration through AUCC.
Based as well on a series of conversations with Canadians from across the country, the commitments are:
- To broaden the view of education, and to invite and lead a cross-Canada conversation about the entire education system;
- To innovate in learning and enhance university students’ learning experience to ensure it is research-enriched and globally engaged;
- To ensure that every student is fully equipped to play a role in a larger world and new kind of Canada;
- To concentrate the world’s best minds on the world’s toughest problems, with a commitment to continued growth of graduate students and robust research; and
- To cultivate engagement and reach beyond institutions to create alliances, partnerships and initiatives of shared purpose.